Many individuals who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) have created loving families through foster care and adoption. However, in Wisconsin, as with the remainder of the country, the legal landscape is rapidly changing. Therefore, our recommendation is for you to consult with an attorney who can provide you with accurate legal counsel.
We invite you to download our brochure for additional information about adoption for LGBT families.
If you would like a list of agencies in Wisconsin that work with LGBT couples and individuals, please refer to this list. You will find the relevant agencies noted with a = symbol.
You can find information and resources specific to LGBT adoption and parenting on the Child Welfare Information Gateway website. Additionally, below are some other websites that may be helpful to you.
- Adoption Laws and Resources for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Families, AdoptUSKids
- Explore Adoption, Human Rights Campaign
- 50 States of Adoption, Family Equality Council
- Lifelong Adoptions
- Gay, Lesbian, Same Sex Adoption (LGBT adoption), Adoptions Together
- Overview of Lesbian and Gay Parenting, Adoption and Foster Care, American Civil Liberties Union