After deciding to pursue adoption, families can become discouraged when they discover its costs. Though adoption can be expensive, there are many financial resources available to aid families. The following websites provide lists of grants and financing resources:
- A Gift of Adoption
- Child Welfare Information Gateway
- North American Council on Adoptable Children
- A Child Waits
- Federal Adoption Expense Tax Credit
This national non-profit program will provide qualified couples and individuals (regardless of race, religion, marital status, or sexual preference) with grants of up to $15,000 toward their adoption expenses
- Adoption Assistance & Financial Support
- The MJFLA Eileen & Glenn Graves Growing Families Loan Fund provides interest-free loans up to $10,000 to residents of Southeastern Wisconsin to help with the costs of adoption, fertility treatment/ IUI/IVF, gestational or traditional surrogacy, kinship adoption, etc.
Some workplaces offer employee benefits, and you may want to talk to your employer to see if he or she offers these benefits. For more about employer adoption benefits, please visit the Dave Thomas Foundation website on adoption-friendly workplaces. For more information on tax credits, you may want to contact your agency, social worker, or state adoption unit.
The above sites are not endorsed by the Coalition for Children, Youth & Families, but are only suggestions of possible grant opportunities and financing resources. For more information, or to speak with a Resource Specialist, please call 1-800-762-8063.